Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Monday open thread: The marvel of humanity

Image by Comfreak from Pixabay

One of the great things about the end of the Trump Era is that I can again watch BBC's "Dateline London" without worrying "OH GOD WHAT NOW".

I watched this weekend's edition, and one of the commentators waxed rhapsodic about the human ingenuity which has engendered two viable vaccines against COVID.

Think about this: We knew nothing about COVID-19. This was a completely new, unseen virus. We had no baseline from which to operate. And within months, we have two vaccines, with more coming.

I'm a humanist. I'm a humanist because I believe in the ability of this most imperfect species to continue to strive to perfect itself. We never will, of course; but the journey is the point, not the destination.

Life is not determined by gods. Life is determined by the gods' imperfect but striving creations. Paradise and hell are within our power. And yet we continue to strive for paradise. This is what gives me hope. Not some future return of a divine being, but our constant work to become better.

Think about this as you go about your week.

This is your open thread.