Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Election Eve


Of course, I have a piece ready to go tomorrow. I exorcize some demons from Nov. 8, 2016 in it.

But I've been listening to one of U2's great albums, Zooropa, and there's a line from the song "Lemon" which stuck out to me.

"Midnight is where the day begins."

That lyric blew my mind with its truth and simplicity when I first heard it 30-odd years ago.

We're at midnight. And we'll see what day dawns.

But I have faith in humanity. What else am I supposed to have? What else am I supposed to do? Wallow in despair? What kind of life is that?

Midnight is where the day begins. Midnight is coming soon. We've been in midnight for four years. But the day is dawning. We have it in our power to decide what kind of day it will be.

"Midnight is where the day begins." Midnight is where we get to fix what we got wrong. Midnight is where we can reset all our mistakes. Midnight resets the clock.

Be of good cheer. Be of brave heart. Be of courageous soul.

This is your open thread.