Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Tuesday open thread: Get that booty checked!


By the time this posts, I shall have been up for 90 minutes doing the last bit of my colon cleanse, in preparation for my colonoscopy.

Now, yes, we write mostly about politics on this here site. And I've wanted to write about other things, but, you know, people insist on continuing to be idiots. But today we will take a day off from things political and turn to our health.

Here are a few facts about colon cancer, from the Colon Cancer Coalition:
  • Colon cancer is cancer of the colon. Rectal cancer is cancer in the rectum. Together they are colorectal.
  • It is the fourth most commonly diagnosed cancer and the second leading cause of cancer death.
  • Colorectal cancer affects men and women equally, and people of all races and nationalities.
  • Half of all new colorectal cancer diagnosis are in people 66 or younger.
  • The 5-year relative survival rate for stage 1 and stage II colon cancer is 90%; the 5-year survival rate for patients diagnosed at stage III is 71% and stage IV is 14%.
  • Often, those who are diagnosed with colorectal cancer have experienced no signs or symptoms associated with the disease.
That last one is the one which should concern you. You could have the cancer and not have suffered any signs or symptoms.

Now, for me? I began colon screening at age 46. Why? Well, to be frank, bleeding hemorrhoids. My doctor immediately scheduled a colonoscopy for me. With that symptom, I obviously have a higher risk of the disease. 

"But, LL, I have no family history of colorectal cancer!" Doesn't matter. Having a family history of the cancer does increase your chances of getting it; but most of those diagnosed had no family history of colorectal cancer.

Now, I plan to lead a long, fruitful life. We all have to go someday—although maybe not! But until that day when we can reverse aging and sail the stars, I'm not going out due to something I could have prevented by enduring a day's discomfort. And let me tell you: the prep for a colonoscopy is literally full of shit. But then I think of the people who love me, and of my own distaste for shuffling off this mortal coil in very nasty ways, and I do the liquid diet and the colon purge and get on with it. I've got French toast waiting for me once the procedure is done.

So, friends, if your doctor tells you you need a colonoscopy, do it. And do it if you reach a certain age. It should be part of our regular examinations as we age.

God. I want a burger.

***

Like what you're reading? Never miss another post! Get notified via email here.

Donate at the link below to keep us going.