Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

New Year's Day self-care open thread: Greet the new year with joy and hope

Photo by Jill Wellington

Happy New Year's Day, Barflies!

I truly think 2023 will see a change in fortunes for the better. Last year was when several difficult things in my life came to a conclusion, from my wife finally being able to get surgery to repair her ankle, to my mother passing on and leaving aside her pain and illness. Endings lead to beginnings, of hopefully better things. 

Yes, Republicans will be in charge in the House. Or will they? The caucus is very divided, sniping at each other. We'll see if it can even elect a Speaker. And the agenda it's promising is not one which voters want. And with the Senate firmly in Democratic hands, the country will see a stark difference between the two parties.

Meanwhile, Donald Trump. I do think he'll go third party. And I think he'll recruit crazed candidates to go against Republicans in House districts and for Senate seats. He is a boiling mass of rage and grievance, lashing out at anyone who doesn't bend the knee.

As I always say: Be of good cheer. Things are never as bleak as they seem.







As always, my dear friends, be ever excellent to yourselves and those around you. Greet this new year with love and expectation.

***

Like what you're reading? Never miss another post! Get notified via email here.

Donate at the link below to keep us going.