Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Weekend self-care open thread: In memoriam John Lennon

I was ten when a disturbed loner killed John Lennon.

I remember waking up that Monday, and finding my eldest brother, while not crying, despondent. He was about to leave the house and head to the Dakota to join the mourners. I, of course, had to go to school.

I was introduced to the marvels of music by John, Paul, George, and Ringo. They were the soundtrack of my life up until that time. And for John, an adopted New Yorker, to be murdered in front of his home, was emblematic of all that was wrong with my former city in those days.

If he were still alive, what would he have made of the forty years of history he didn't get to see? What music would he have written about Reagan? About Trump? 

For this weekend's self-care, we look back on the music of John Lennon, too soon taken from us.

As always, be bold, be brave, be beautiful.