Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Weekend self-care open thread: Happy anniversary to us


Four years and a few days ago, Trevor and I decided to set up our own shop. The result was this joint. 

But make no mistake: we could not have done it without all of you. We would have merely been speaking to empty wind. We created the space. All of you, commenters and lurkers, filled it with life. All of our writing would have been as naught were it not for you filling this place with your thoughts. From the depths of my heart, I want to thank you. 

More than some of you have said that this place is your home. I will let Trevor speak for himself. But for me, shepherding this blog is one of the best things I've done in my life. No, it hasn't made me rich. And sometimes I've wanted to tear out my non-existent hair. But at day's end this place nurtures me as much, if not more, than it does you. This is that most elusive of things: a community of shared values and shared action. 

We've been in dark times for a while. We've entered a very dark time this week. And there are few people with whom I'd rather navigate this time than with all of you.

So, for this weekend: touch grass. Realize that the dark is a passing thing. And realize that you are all amazing human beings.

Because of the war in Gaza, I'm not going to post the usual musical celebration. I will simply post this, in remembrance of all who have left this mortal realm, cruelly ripped from the beauty which is life. It is a Jewish prayer, but it is for all of us, for it is human, and we are human.


As always, be ever kind and gentle to yourselves and others, my friends. 

לחיים

الي الحياة

***

Like what you're reading? Never miss another post! Get notified via email here.

Donate at the link below to keep us going.