Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Wednesday open thread: A simple wish


I have a simple wish. It is one shared by, I think, many people.

The wish is to wake up in the morning and not have to think of the traitors who want to bring down this Republic. The traitors who would gladly see us all hang.

I want to live in a country which is well-run, which takes care of its citizens.

I wish to wake up to a life where I don't have to concern myself with worry over what nihilists are planning. Where I can travel to every corner of this nation and not worry about being confronted with that nihilism, that negation of my core humanity.

I wish that a certain former president is either dead or in prison, but at any rate no longer affecting all of our lives. Even now that he's out of office, his sociopathic narcissism won't abate. He can't let go. He must exact revenge on a nation which spurned him. I wish for him to disappear, melt, thaw, and dissolve himself into a dew. I will never read a book about him in later years, because I don't need to; I lived through the darkest period in my lifetime.

I wish to wake up and have people who don't agree with me that it's fine we have differing opinions; but that they have no right to impose their way of life on me. A man marrying a man, or a woman having an abortion, may be anathema to your religious beliefs, but this isn't a theocracy, and these are not existential threats to the country. The country will do fine with pronouns; it won't with no liberty.

I wish to wake up and not think: What fresh hell will today bring?

I wish boredom. Delirious, peaceful boredom. The boredom which gives me the space to pursue my interests and dreams.

But that's for another time.

I know that we are all tired of seeing the same news, the same stories. But we can't ignore them. We can't, well, wish them away. For my wish to come true, we have a long battle ahead of us. It is what it is. And as tired as we are, as anxious as we are, there's no way out of it except straight ahead.

I'm tired. But those that came before me were equally tired. Being tired is the side effect of fighting for what's right. Our final rest won't be until the job is done.

Have a wonderful hump day, everyone. Take care of yourselves.