Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Monday open thread: In memoriam Bo Obama (and all other critters)


This past weekend, former First Dog Bo Obama passed away. Normally, even though Bo was a very good man, I wouldn't have written a post about his passing. But, of course, that was before All This™ happened.

I can't fully tell you what a balm to my soul having the Hounds of Love and Emma la gata gorda around has been during the Time of Plague. And I know I'm not the only one. Twitter is filled with encomiums to those creatures who rely completely on us, and give us unconditional love. I've had many dark days doing the work I've been doing, and the Hounds have always known when I needed that snuggle or that head bump. 

Aside from their physical needs—food, water, shelter—animals see us as their humans, whom they love and adore and for whom they would do anything. They ask for nothing but our love and attention. And only a sociopath would deny it to them. (Sadly, there are too many of those.)

Bo's place in his family's hearts is that which our fur kids occupy in ours. They are our friends, our helpers, our goofs. No matter how bad of a day I've had, Stewie and Meg and Kiki and Emma are there with love and affection, wanting nothing more than to make me feel better. Their only demand is that we let them love us. Not a bad deal, I'd say.

While animal companions are not for everyone, for various reasons, it takes a special kind of person to simply hate them, or wish them ill. The former guy was such a person, and this trait was a view into his empty psyche. He's unable to love humans, so loving a pet is something he'd never even consider. They need, and he doesn't fulfill anyone or anything else's needs. If he were just a schlub from Queens, with no power, he'd be the kind of person who would leave his dog tied up in the backyard. 

Go to the Good Place, Bo, where you can chase butterflies all day. And say hi for me to Kitty, and Abigail, and Ranger, and Ygnacio, and Babs, and my fat man Zeke. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time, all together.

This is your open thread.