Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Weekend self-care open thread: Ladies and gentlemen, Leslie Odom, Jr.!

No, he's not related to the great Lamar Odom. (Although how cool would that be?)

Leslie Odom, Jr. is most famous for having originated the role of Aaron Burr in Lin-Manuel Miranda's "Hamilton". Now, I went to see the touring version of the musical a couple of years back, and it was phenomenal. However, I watched the filmed version last year on Disney+, and I can honestly say that now I don't remember any of the cast from live performance. I argued with the Gaybrarian, with whom I watched the filmed version, that Odom's performance not only stole the show, but made Burr the true central character of the piece. He's just that good.

A few weeks ago, as I was perusing my TiVo, there was a "Live from Lincoln Center" featuring him. It was then that I discovered that he was also a recording artist. And what a revelation it was. Odom brought all of his theater training to bear on the songs he performed. I knew then that I had to feature him for a weekend self-care. So, here we are.

Oh, and he's also a composer. So he has that going for him.

As always, be bold, be beautiful, and be good.