Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Open thread: Impeachment trial, day one

Image by Please Don't sell My Artwork AS IS from Pixabay

Well, friends, here we go again.

Once more, the Senate convenes to decide the fate of one Donald John Trump.

When it met earlier in 2020, the Republicans in the Senate made sure to acquit an unfit, treasonous, criminal president. Although a majority of some sort will probably vote to convict him this time, forgive me if I'm not sanguine that seventeen Republicans will choose to condemn Trump. As I always say, I'm open to the Universe surprising me. But neither am I going to hang my hat on that hope.

It never ceases to amaze me that a major American political party has become nothing but a vehicle for a sordid cult of personality. It didn't have to be like this. But neither has it come out of nowhere, as the GOP's authoritarian bent would eventually settle on a caudillo to follow.

I will watch the proceedings without any expectation. Laying out the particulars of Trump's criminality will have its own utility. But if the gods are wont to take pity on poor humanity, moving the hearts of seventeen Republican senators to at least act in self-interest and vote to convict would be a nice thing to prove that they exist.

Roll up and settle in. It'll be a long week (at least).