Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Weekend self-care open thread: Happy Birthday, Stephen Sondheim!


So, as you all know, I have a very dear friend whom I call the Gaybrarian. And his gay friends all call me the "non-gay gay", because, really, even my wife, when we first met, thought I was at least bisexual. And I was never more non-gay gay than when Greg and I were online at the same time last Sunday celebrating the genius who is Stephen Sondheim's 90th birthday.

I can't quite describe to you what an influence Sondheim has been on my own artistic development. He survived an awful, domineering, hateful mother and family life to create music which will outlast us all, without losing his humanity. His musicals, starting with his lyrics for West Side Story, are touchstones in my life.

His 90th birthday is fit for a celebration, and no fucking virus was going to keep those of us who loved him and were nurtured by him from acknowledging it. So, together apart, we all celebrated his birthday last Sunday.

For this weekend's self-care thread, I present that celebration. Even in a time of plague, art endures. Beauty endures. Love endures. Life endures. Truly, do take the time to watch this in its entirety.

(Also, my Cuban brother from another mother, Raul Esparza, late of Law and Order: SVU, was the host.)

As always, be beautiful to yourselves and each other.