Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Sunday open thread: Happy Mother's Day

Of her three sons, I was the only one born in the US. So, obviously, I was going to give my mother some problems that my brothers hadn't. I was going to be more rebellious. I was going to be more cantankerous. I was going to be the one who didn't want to deal with tradition and what was expected of me. I was going to chafe more. I wanted to be me, not a member of a unit. I didn't ask to be born!!

It took decades, but now I see what my mom did and why. And don't get me wrong: For a long while, we butted heads. But now as I head into my second half-century, and my mother enjoys a well-earned rest, I realize that without her my life would have been inconceivably different. If she had left my life early, I can't even imagine who I'd be. This blog probably wouldn't even exist, nor would the life I now lead.

Not all mothers are wonderful. Some should have never had kids. But most mothers do the best they can out of a love which is unique among humans.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers on the Bar, and to all of you whose mothers are still alive and kicking.