Two poems, and a fundraiser
| Photo by RDNE Stock project |
Hi ho, everyone.
I was going to write something about Our Current State. But instead, you're getting poetry. Which, really, is better. The world is too much with us, and I'd rather here Triton blow his wreathéd horn.
The young women dance
The young women dance at the show, bodieslithe and limber, dancing as if they have
no care in the world, the music washing
over them and enveloping them in
the swirl and whorl of the refrain. I watch
them, smiling, remembering when I would
have approached them, danced with them, bodies close,
skin on skin, breath on breath, youth made all real.
Now I have a wife, and children, and I
would not trade them for the world. Dance, ladies.
Revel in your youth. Savor your bodies.
Know that that too shall pass, but so much is
awaiting you beyond the dance. Another
dance, no worse, no better, but delicious.
Damascus
Please. Spare me from Damascus.I do not need to be blinded
and thrown to the ground.
You, Sir, presume shamelessly.
I am fine with things not
revolutionary. I do not need
a vision to see what the truth is.
I will not lead the Gentiles to
the Kingdom. I will not lead the
Righteous to that invisible realm.
Damascus is a place of fantasy;
a place where those who long for
something wondrous go to.
I have no desire to go there.
Keep me in my café, where I can
sip my coffee and ignore the
roiling of those who are the Perfect.
I didn’t even write all those letters.
No. No. Keep your eschatology
to yourself. For me, good food,
good wine, a good life are enough.
A book which opens my mind
and sets me on an ocean of
discovery is what I need.
Damascus is a foreign land to which
I do not wish to travel. I will
sit here in my parlor, surrounded by
my loves, at a place of peace.
Fundraiser
Our friend NBL is in need of new glasses. She's unable to afford them herself on her fixed income. So, as we have done before, I'm starting a fundraiser. We are aiming for $600. If you can give, that would be awesome. As always, we're a community, and this is what communities do. You can donate at this link. Once we hit $600, I'll take down the link, and send her the funds. Thank you, all.