Archive

Show more

Poetry by that ever-elusive Robert Denby


LUCKY DAY! Shelf

Oh,
look.
Another
memoir
where
someone
hides
out
from
COVID
in
the
Hamptons...

***

National Anthem

One look
at my
America
t-shirt
and she
starts singing
"Ventura
Highway"
to herself.

***

Jeff Lynne's ELO Living Thing Philly '19

How
many
comments
on
the
video
before
they
start
drooling
over
how
hot
the
violinist
is?

***

Pam Am Flight 103

Just think about it.
If the Four Tops hadn't
missed their scheduled
plane and caught a later
one instead, they'd all
still be dead thirty-six
years later.

***

Receipt

I bought this copy of Actual Air by David Berman from a smug little indie bookstore that was closed when Dubya was in office and then demolished under Obama.

Even though it was ten blocks away from the university, student housing sits there now.

The time was 3:49 when I paid $12.95. That was when I used to carry exact change on my person,

two years to the day before 9/11.