Archive

Show more

On racist fears and the road to dusty death

Renee Good and her daughter

I was going to write something else for today. And you'll get it tomorrow. But today's homily is on this which came across my timeline yesterday:

Mother of Renee Good: I voted for Trump under the impression that these agents were here to protect the citizens of the US, innocents like our family and the others here, against terrorists. Certainly not to accuse those of us here of being terrorists and take precious lives. This is madness.

[image or embed]

— Acyn (@acyn.bsky.social) September 22, 2026 at 3:43 PM
Let me repeat that quote:

Mother of Renee Good: I voted for Trump under the impression that these agents were here to protect the citizens of the US, innocents like our family and the others here, against terrorists. Certainly not to accuse those of us here of being terrorists and take precious lives. This is madness.

I'm honestly trying to find the words.

This woman, mother to a gay daughter, grandmother to her gay daughter and her partner's child, voted for a rapist, a homophobe, a racist. Because she thought he would keep her safe.

Safe from what, ma'am? From people with names like mine? From the people who cook your food and clean your house and drive your Ubers? From the people who come to this country to make a better life for themselves and those they love?

This is what was displayed at the Republican National Convention in 2024:


Tell me, ma'am: What part of "mass deportation now" made you think that Donald Trump was only going to go after the "bad ones"? What about that phrase made you think that this would be a bloodless process which "protected" American citizens. American citizens have, in fact, been deported. What was so "dangerous" about them that you chose to betray your gay daughter and vote for a man whose movement had as a goal her extirpation? 

I don't know your name, and I don't want to. "Mother of Renee Good" is fine for my purposes. Because as her mother, you failed her utterly. You consigned her to death. You may as well have pulled the trigger which ended her life. You voted for a man who has stripped her of her rights. You voted for a man whose Gestapo murdered her in cold blood. And now you regret? Now you cry crocodile tears? 

I wonder if the two of you ever discussed your vote. I wonder how you justified your choice to Renee. I wonder how you looked her in the eye and gish galloped about why you voted for a man whom the majority of his supporters viewed your daughter as an abomination, her family as an evil which must be excised from the body of godly America. I wonder how you sleep at night, knowing that you are as responsible for your daughter's death as the thug put the bullet into her. 

If you and thousands like you had voted for Kamala Harris, your daughter would be alive. Thousands—hundreds of thousands of people all around the world would still be alive. And you don't see that. You wail now that tragedy has struck you. You cry now that the consequences of your actions have impacted you in the most horrific way. But you don't look like a stupid woman. I'm sure you have an education. What Trump was, is, and forever will be was as plain as day. And yet you still chose him. You still marked your ballot for a man who sees people like your daughter as subhuman, as beneath his care. You voted for a man who ran on being the "vengeance" for his supporters. You, "Mother of Renee Good", condemned your daughter to death. Your choices helped set in motion the events in which Renee's daughter lost a parent. 

I'm sure you're suffering. But it's a suffering you brought upon yourself. As with much suffering, it's self-inflicted. You sinned grievously against your daughter, and against all the men and women like her. I don't think anything you do will ever expiate that sin. May it be your fate to live with that guilt and suffering until you go join your daughter. And then, perhaps, you can again explain your choices to her.