Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Distress Signal: Minnesota

I am a resident of Minnesota and I am quite proud of my roots in Minnesota’s capital city, Saint Paul. Despite the serious challenges the region faces, I am quite optimistic in many ways about the future of the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area.

That being said, we need some help in keeping Minnesota Blue.

Trump’s campaign is pouring millions of dollars into my home state in order to turn it red. Before anyone says “But that’s impossible.”, keep in mind that in 2016, Trump came less than two points from winning Minnesota.

Also keep in mind that if Minnesota goes Red, so does the rest of the Midwest except for Illinois.

Relevant Background

Like much of the country and the American Midwest especially, Minnesota politics is heavily influenced by the urban/rural divide. In this case, the divide between the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area plus several population centers and Greater Minnesota. While working as a Committee Page in the Minnesota House of Representatives, I saw this divide play out in how ugly the floor fights could get. 

The Twin Cities Metro, especially the core Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul, is rapidly diversifying. That means becoming less white. More importantly, the suburbs around the Twin Cities are turning blue while the rural parts of the state are quickly becoming red. 

The main exception to this is the Iron Range. It went blue during the 2018 Midterms, though it went red during the 2016 election.

The Ask

I am asking the readers to send the Democratic Farmer Labor Party (what Democrats are referred to in Minnesota) or DFL money. I am also asking you all to donate to Senator Tina Smith’s reelection campaign, for she has a tough fight ahead of her as well. In addition, I will post links to fundraising efforts to Dan Feehans efforts to retake the Minnesota 1st for the Democrats. 

Do it for me. 

Links

If you are in a safe district, please send help. 

We need it.