Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Weekend self-care open thread: Happy little accidents


When the plague began, and I found myself teleworking most of the time, I usually had the TV on. And the program which came on every morning at 11am was Bob Ross.

Now, I'm sure you know who Bob Ross is from the picture at the head of this piece. His is the face which has launched a thousand memes.

And no, his art won't hang in the Louvre. But that's fine, because that's not what he's about. He's not about creating a new "Guernica". He's simply about bringing joy into the lives of the people he touches. And that's not a bad thing.

I've found his programs a great way to unwind at the end of a long day of contact tracing. And his programs are full of non-art lessons: lessons on acceptance, on joy, on turning lemons into lemonade. One thing he said which has stuck with me was that when he was in the military, he had to be a tough guy. Now that he was out, he could be happy all the time.

For your weekend self-care, spend some time with the Happy Painter. And remember, life is full of happy little accidents.


As always, be wonderful and beautiful to yourselves and to each other.