Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Monday open thread: UPDATE - Rubiales resigns


Two weeks ago, I wrote about the kiss seen around the world, when Spanish football chief Luis Rubiales deemed it appropriate to kiss the captain of the Spanish women's football team, Jenni Hermoso, on the lips in celebration of Spain winning the Women's World Cup.

Yesterday, bowing to the inevitable, Rubiales finally resigned.

It's obvious that he has learned nothing. From his statement:
"After the quick suspension carried out by Fifa, plus the rest of open proceedings against me, it is evident that I will not be able to return to my position," Rubiales' statement read.

"Insisting on waiting and holding on is not going to contribute to anything positive, neither to the federation nor to Spanish football.

Rubiales said he hoped his departure would boost Spain's joint bid with Morocco and Portugal to host the 2030 World Cup.

He added: "I have faith in the truth and I will do everything in my power to prevail.

"My daughters, my family and the people who love me have suffered the effects of excessive persecution, as well as many falsehoods, but it is also true that on the street, more and more every day, the truth is prevailing."
What's disgusting is him referencing his daughters, to show that he can't be a sexist because of them. As we all know, that means nothing.

Spain has many protections for women in its legal framework. But law and culture are two different things. And as in most of the world, culture is decidedly anti-woman. Rubiales exemplifies this fact.

Hopefully, now the Spanish women's team can fully celebrate their triumph, and move on to greater glories. They certainly shouldn't be stymied by this juvenile man.

This is your open thread.

***

Like what you're reading? Never miss another post! Get notified via email here.

Donate at the link below to keep us going.