Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Weekend self-care open thread: In memoriam, Stephen Sondheim


Many people claim to be geniuses, but very few of them are. Stephen Sondheim never claimed that mantle, and yet no American composer of the past half-century more deserves that title.

Stephen Sondheim passed away on Friday. For those of us who love American musical theater, this is a gutting blow. Sondheim has influenced and inspired a generation (or two) of composers. The landscape of musical theater would be vastly different if he had not plied his art. He spilled the material of his life into art which was incandescent and full of love. There may not have always been a happy ending, but there was always hope. 

As West Side Story was the first musical I ever saw that stuck with me, Stephen has a special place in my heart. I grieve for him, and I grieve with all who knew him. In more recent times, his 90th birthday celebration, which was broadcast on YouTube just as COVID was gripping the world, brought solace to me as I was watching the globe contract into itself. But, as I want at my demise, I don't want to wallow in grief. I want to celebrate a special soul. So, for this weekend's self-care, then unparalleled music of Stephen Sondheim. Rest easy.


Rest in peace, great soul. We'll take it from here.

As always, be kind to yourselves and those around you. In the end, it's all that matters in this life.