Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Ignore those who peddle despair

 

I won't belabor the point much, because you've heard this song before.

There are many so-called "influencers" on political liberal Twitter who aren't worth anything. They use their megaphones and their platforms to sell futility and hopelessness to their followers. Do they believe this hopelessness themselves? It's hard to say. But one would be forgiven for not thinking their schtick to be a part of their grift. They might get bookings on mainstream media—which also wallows in despair narratives; they might get a book contract; or, they might simply get the thrill of thousands of people hanging on their words, and the control they have over their followers' moods and beliefs.

Yesterday a tweet made the rounds. It was by a Tweeter whose name I won't mention. And I won't post the tweet here. I will not reward them by posting their drivel. The short version of the tweet explained that this person had "sources" on the Hill, and detailed all the horrible things the GOP was planning on doing if it won unitary control of the government in 2024.

Needless to say, this tweet had its desired effect, if the effect was to scare the shit out of people and give a sense that all is lost.

"Oh, but LL, we need to be prepared!" Yes, we do. Planning for various outcomes is necessary. But this tweet wasn't it. It merely presented its opinion as foregone fact, assuming that not only will the GOP win in 2024, but also in 2022. And boy, I bet this person felt a frisson of power seeing the tweet go viral. Look at all those minds I've affected! They don't know me from Adam or Eve, but they hang on my word as if it's incontrovertible truth!

These are not allies. These are not people on "our" side. They are mere chaos agents, pushing their pet ideologies. They don't actually care about the disaster it would be were the worst to happen. They would be fine with a GOP White House and Congress and Supreme Court. Or, at any rate, they think they would be. Such an outcome is better for their bottom line. I don't know why they think that if the country truly went fascist they would be immune from the ramifications. But as much as they delude their followers, they, too, operate under a delusion. 

I have no time for people like that. None of us should. There's a difference between preparedness and paralyzing fear. They should be ashamed of themselves. Instead of doing all they can to prevent a calamity, they instigate it by their negative narratives. They say nothing that Democrats do is good enough, and their followers should show their displeasure. They don't trumpet Democratic achievements; instead they "yeah, but" them into insignificance. However, any setback is one of monumental importance, and will set the stage for a crashing defeat.

I have a request of this community, both for the community's health and your individual well-being: ignore them. Don't retweet them. Don't respond to them. Don't amplify them. Don't give them the attention they crave. They have no special knowledge you do not possess. They have no special wisdom you lack. They, like all of us, are groping in the dark, looking for some idea of what's going to happen next. But what happens next is up to all of us, collectively and individually. These people do not contribute to good outcomes. They assume the worst, and work for the worst.

When you feel that dark cloud, consider its source. Ask yourself: Does this person know more than I do? The answer is usually "no". Read widely. Don't go into a tailspin over a tweet. As the poet wrote: I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. It is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. 

Namaste.

Epilogue