Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Wednesday open thread: The arc of the moral universe


Yesterday was a good day.
  • Internet troll turned morning chat show host Piers Morgan was not only served up on a plate by a Black colleague LIVE ON UK TELEVISION, but then "resigned" from ITV's "Good Morning Britain". (Translation: His ass was fired.)
  • Trump sycophant Lindsey Graham was officially placed under criminal investigation in Georgia for his attempt to overturn the elections results.
  • Insurrectionists with ties to the Trump White House keep getting indicted, with conspiracy getting closer and closer to Donald Trump.
People often ask me: "Hey, LL? How can you be so optimistic? Don't you just have a case of rose-colored glasses?"

Well, no.

I've been through a lot in my life which I haven't shared. But my optimistic look on life is formed by my overcoming obstacles. Some of the obstacles I've overcome through sheer work. And some I've overcome as the result of being in the right place at the right time. As my wife reminds me when we face a problem: Things work out. My optimism is based on observation and lived experience. 

As always, your mileage may vary, and I'm not gainsaying anyone's experiences. But my optimism has been formed by the life I've been blessed to live. And such optimism is essential as we set about the work of tikkun olam, of bringing peace and healing to a fallen world. (Getting people to stop wearing Yankees caps when they're not even your team is part of that.) It's an optimism fully cognizant of the obstacles ahead, but refusing to be daunted by them. Anything worth achieving will be fraught; the peril doesn't stop one from working for the goal.

The days of the Trump regime, especially 2020, have tested all of us. But today, even more firmly, I believe in the moral arc of the universe bending towards justice. The evidence is all around us. It's our work as human beings to speed the coming of that day.

These are just my two cents. I've been in a hopeless place. And I'm now in a hopeful place. Hope requires work. Hopelessness requires even more work. I opt for the slightly easier option.

This is your open thread.