Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

What a year it's been

October 11, 2019. That's when Trevor and I started this joint. That's right, the Bar is one year old.

We were more than chuffed when so many of you decided to follow us over from The People's View. It showed that we did something right when we were in charge of that place.

It's been a hell of a year for all of us. We have problems. We've had heartaches. We've had fears. But through it all, we hung together as a community.

Community. That's a word that's dear to me. I distrust people who are "rugged individualists". Because the fact of the matter is that, to quote the poet, no man is an island. Those people who claim they don't need anyone are either liars or sociopaths. As humans, we've evolved to live in social circles. People who have no social circles are not people you want to be around.

Many of you have stated how much this place means to you. How it's been a haven in a stormy sea. The thing is, this place has been a haven for me as well. Letting me get my thoughts out as I survive this timeline has more than made up for the work of running a blog. As much as you'd be lost without the Bar, I'd be lost without having all of you on this journey to a hopefully better place.

I don't know more than any of you. I'm just a guy who has a way with words. I'd hope that as a community we learn from each other, and lean on each other. When one of us hurts, we all hurt, as when Ace just lost his father. If this place ever becomes just a talking shop, then I'm going to wrap things up. You cannot live by politics alone.

As we start on our second year, I want to thank all of you. I want to thank you for sticking it out with  us. I want to thank you for your loyalty. I want to thank you for your beauty.

Let's go. We have a country to save.