Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Monday open thread: The comedy stylings of Joey B and Roy Wood, Jr.


Happy Monday, Barflies!

I'll be back to full writing for tomorrow's piece. I'm composing this on Sunday afternoon, and I'm just taking it easy as I slough off the final vestiges of jet lag. 

Saturday was the annual White House Correspondents Association dinner. Roy Wood, Jr. was the keynote comic. And they had some dude named Joe Biden as his warm-up act. This Biden guy really does seem like he has some comedic chops. I can see him headlining Vegas.

All kidding aside, can you imagine any of the current lot of leading Republicans being as comfortable in their skins as President Biden? Anyone? Of course you can't. They are bullies, and the one thing bullies cannot do is laugh at themselves. They have no sense of humor. Or, they do, but it's a humor which serves to belittle others. If they turn it on themselves, they lose all sense of self. Never trust people who take themselves so seriously. There lie future genocidaires. 

His remarks at the WHCD are why Joey B will romp to re-election next year. None of the GOP crop can match his humanity, his basic decency. None of them are as fast on their feet as Pres. Biden. None of them can make a quip without seeming like utter assholes. They scream and shout; Joey B winks and smiles.

This is your Monday open thread. Have a glorious day!



Postscript

Now that I'm back at the dark center of the universe otherwise known as LA, I want to thank my partner-in-crime Trevor for manning the conn while I was away traveling and expanding my horizons. I couldn't run this blog without him. And I want to thank Andres and MOMU for their contributions for the first week of my trip. You guys are awesome. And, of course, I want to thank all you Barflies for encouraging me to enjoy myself on this trip and not worry about this joint. You are all wonderful

***

Like what you're reading? Never miss another post! Get notified via email here.

Donate at the link below to keep us going.