Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Thursday open thread: The kids are alright


Yesterday, my bestie the Gaybrarian shared this tweet with me:
Now, I will admit I'm one of those olds who poo-pooed the idea that the youth vote would turn out. I based this on the fact that the youth vote never turns out. Boy, was I wrong.

Gen Z was the only age demographic which Democrats won. It lost all other age groups. White, Black, Latin, and Asian Gen Z turned out for Democrats. It literally staved off a red wave.

We also mockingly say that white Gen Z won't be any different than their parents, eventually skewing Republican. But from the results on Tuesday, this seems to be wrong. And I'm happy that I'm wrong.

This young man's enthusiasm is just what Democrats need. The party needs a generational cohort which will be loyal to it, both voting for it and pushing it to change to meet the needs of a new reality.

To quote the poet: 
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Their immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're going through
And to quote the other poet:


The kids are alright. Perhaps it's time for us to step aside and let them take the reins. They certainly can do no worse than we have.

This is your open thread.

***

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following us.