Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Thanksgiving Day open thread


Well, this has been a hell of a couple of weeks for your humble blog-lord. First, Mrs. LL gets Covid. Then I get it from her. And then I get Paxlovid rebound. As I'm writing this, I'm not quite an ex-parrot; but I don't feel at all well.

And yet, I'm thankful. I have a job which allows me time off to attend to my health. I have a wife whom I adore and love. I have three fur-kids who have helped us get through many a trial. I have friends and family who support me and lift me up. I know I'm a fortunate son.

I know not everyone has the good fortune I do. And it is fortune. Yes, I and my wife have worked for what we have. But grace and luck have played major roles, as they do in anyone's life. A twist of fate and my story would be much different.

Take nothing you have for granted. All is a mixture of your own efforts and that ineffable fortune which smiles on you to keep you going. Savor your successes, and learn from your failures. Nothing is permanent; your bad luck of today will turn on a dime and bring you joy and happiness tomorrow.

And, of course, I'm grateful for this community we've all had a hand in building. I know my life would have been all the poorer for it not existing. Many things give my life meaning, and the Bar is one of them.

Be thankful for all the good in our lives, and dwell not on the dark places. The darkness is a passing thing.

I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving, filled with love and laughter.