Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Weekend self-care open thread: Love story


I and my future wife had a cute meet. How cute? Well, I was a moderator on an IRC channel, and I bounced her because she came in with a friend to troll us. She returned the following day, and we began talking. (Did I mention the channel was a sex channel? No? Well, it was the early days of us hoi polloi using the internet, and as always sex was on the minds of us young and strapping Gen-Xers.)

Fast forward a couple of years. October 25, 1999. We pull up to the house I was renting at the time in a U-Haul. We had just spent five days driving from Indiana to LA as I helped her move out. Even though we'd been together for about a year, we decided this would be our anniversary date.

You've often read me waxing rhapsodic about my wife. We've been through bad times and good, the bad times usually being my fault due to my pig-headedness and my young man's thirst for "freedom". It took me a while to realize what a treasure I had with me. I look back now as a middle-aged man, and I wonder how I would have gotten through the vicissitudes life has thrown at me for these twenty-three years without my partner and helpmeet with me. I'm thankful every day that she stood by me as I struggled to become who I am now. It wasn't always easy, for me or for her. But we accept each other for who we are, no longer trying to change each other. We always say that if we lost each other we'd be professional widows. Neither of us wants to go through finding another partner if we were to find ourselves alone. For me, no one could replace her, and the thought of sharing my life with someone new is one I find unfathomable. 

For this weekend's early self-care thread, we shall celebrate love. Share your stories, of love won, love lost, and love enduring. 






Love others. Love yourselves. And as always, dear friends, be ever kind to yourselves and those around you.

***

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following us.