Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Weekend self-care open thread: I love me some Lara Downes. AND, a fundraiser!


You probably haven't heard the name "Lara Downes", but you should. And I'm going to introduce you to her.

Downes is a classical pianist, educator, activist, and classical radio host. As a radio host, she's a rare breed: a Black woman. She hosts a show on NPR, Amplify. She is also the host of LA's KUSC-FM's nightly program from 8pm to 12am. She replaced longtime stalwart Jim Svejda, and thank God she did. Svejda was also a rare breed: a right-wing public radio host. He once gave an interview for a magazine profile where he declared his fandom of Rush Limbaugh. I contributed to KUSC in spite of him, but was quite relieved when he retired. 

As a host, Downes champions neglected women and Black composers. Her programming is quite different from Svejda's, and for the better. I don't always get to catch her program, but when I do I often learn something new. It was by listening to her that I discovered the music of Germaine Tailleferre, one of Les Six, an informal group in 1920s Paris of modernist composers. She was, of course, the only woman.

For this weekend's self-care, I want to share Lara Downe's work as a pianist. She is quite good. Also, Saturday at 3pm PST, she will host a program on KUSC celebrating Black History Month featuring Black composers, from Florence Price to Wynton Marsalis. The webpage is here. I think it will be worth a listen. I plan to tune in.





You can search on YouTube for "Amplify Lara Downes" to watch episodes of that series. I've watched a few and they're remarkable. And, of course, for you non-West Coasters, if you're up at 11pm EST, do tune in to KUSC and give her nightly program a listen.

And this weekend is one of our occasional fundraisers! As always, Trevor and I do this for love. But we're not above accepting filthy lucre. So click on the little button below if you are able to spare the cash.



And, as always dear friends, be ever kind to yourselves and those around you.