Keep us going. Donate!

Archive

Show more

Weekend self-care open thread: Cole Porter


So. I had quite a few ways to go this weekend.

FRIST, I could have gone with Judy Garland for Pride. But our Old Magoo has been holding the fort with that theme.

Then, of course, Sir Paul McCartney has graced 80 orbits around Sol.

Juneteenth, bien sur. But I'll attend to that for Monday's post.

Then both Old Magoo and Howie14 suggested Cole Porter. Done and done!

Porter was the thinking man's Tin Pan Alley composer. His lyrics were ironic and allusive. He suggested things that got through the censorious biddies. 

And, of course, for Pride, he was gay in an era which could not and would not accept that.

For this weekend's self-care thread, I'll be featuring songs from the Red Hot + Blue compilation of 1990. It was produced by the Red Hot Organization, which promotes AIDS awareness. And it was really my first introduction to Porter's work. (As well, it was my first or second CD that I ever owned.)

Without further ado! Cole Porter!






Please post your favorites from the Cole Porter songbook

What celebrations like Pride remind us is that we're all uniquely different, but in our difference is our strength. Never forget that.

As always, be ever kind to yourselves and those around you.